Friday Flick Picks

Right now we are in the midst of my favorite time of year: award season. Golden Globes, SAG awards, and the Oscars all have their ceremonies centered around my favorite thing: movies. With all the buzz around many best picture and actor nominations, it heightens my excitement about a lot of great movies in theatres. I'm doing my best to catch as many as I can, so I can make the most informed decision when it comes to filling out my ballot. But more on those types of things when we get closer to the big night. For now I'd like to share what I've been watching lately. I haven't done Flick Picks for a few weeks now, so I have a handful to share.





 
 
Three Oscar nominated movies, one documentary, and an indie movie I had been waiting to show up in Redbox. My favorite of these five, hands down, was Django Unchained. Charismatic, funny, suspenseful, well acted, directed, scored; an all around masterpiece. Loved it from start to finish. It's bit on the bloody side (but what Tarantino film isn't?) but so powerful and entertaining. Second to that I would have to say Lincoln. A bit of a surprise for me, because going into it I thought it would be dull and slow. Despite some mediocre performances by other actors in the film Daniel Day Lewis made the film remarkable. I was truly captivated every time he opened his mouth. He is going to win every award for this performance. And just because it needs to be said, Les Miserables was a total bust. Boring, filled with too many closeups, and not as emotional and powerful as musicals tend to be when telling a story. Just know that Anne Hathaway is great; you don't need to sit through a 3 hour movie, you're welcome.
 
All I can say is get out to the movies this month. It's cold and grey out so a movie is the perfect solution to a boring Saturday afternoon. There are too many great movies out to not see at least one.
 
On my movie radar: Zero Dark Thirty, The Impossible, Silver Lining's Playbook, and Beasts of the Southern Wild (it's in Redbox)

No comments:

Post a Comment