Friday Flick Picks


We're trying something new since we've moved into our new house and that is no cable TV! For me, it's still pretty sad. HGTV, DIY network, Bravo, TLC, and The Hallmark channel (for my Golden Girls reruns), make great company while I cook dinner or on a lazy Saturday afternoon but, alas, they are no more. Right now I have the four networks, a channel that only shows the weather Doppler, and something called Cool
TV, which shows music videos and reruns of The City as far as I can tell. So our instant Netflix account will get a lot more use! Think of me while you watch your 100+ channels.

This week we watched The Art of the Steal and Double Indemnity. While I love a classic film, and Billy Wilder's work, I wasn't much for this movie. Just not "juicy" enough for me if you know what I mean. Its hard to appreciate murder mystery story lines in older movies because you've seen them played out time and time again (usually more complex and with more CGI). It's like you knew how it was going to end, you
just had to sit there and watch their brilliant ploy crumble down around them. And the lead Barbara Stanwyck just got on my nerves! But finding the poster really made me laugh! It's designed pretty well until - BAM! - floating head right in the middle of it all.

So the pick of the week is The Art of the Steal. It runs a little long in the end but overall, it's a great documentary about an amazing art collection and its owner, Dr. Albert Barnes. It touched the art student bone in me and I found it very nostalgic. Taking me back to when I was a student and what a wonderful environment it was to be surrounded by beautiful pieces of art and professors who wanted to keep it alive.

I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend. I have a to do list a mile long of things I need to get for the house. What about you guys; what are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment