Wedding Legacy

I'm embarrassed to say that I've watched 27 Dresses on more than one occasion. I blame lazy Saturday afternoons and TV channels that replay the same movie over and over again. If you've haven't seen the movie besides the main plot of Katherine Heigl being a bridesmaid 27 times she has this fantasy of wearing her deceased mother's wedding dress on her wedding day.

I can safely say I will never have that fantasy. Let me explain so I don't sound completely unsentimental or cold.


My mother got married when she was very young, to someone who wasn't my father. There are very few pictures from her wedding, but of what I've seen I knew that my mother's dress have lavender ribbon and lace around the collar, long sleeves, and a high neck. Recently my mother came into possession of her first wedding dress and I got to see it in person. I love my mother, and I think she's a very fashionable lady now, but this dress looks like she's living in the Little House on the Prairie era. She was completely covered in dress from neck to ankle in the weirdest fabric I've ever felt. There is nothing bridal or breathtaking about it.


When she married my father there is even less photographic evidence of the occasion. She was married in a light pink suit on the 24th of May. And as much as I dislike the lavender atrocity, I adore the suit. The suit makes me wish I was as petite as my mother to don the suit myself one day. My father sweetly offered the other night, when we were all having a laugh over my mother's dress, that whenever I got married he would find a tailor to custom make a suit to fit me to replicate my mothers. (Isn't he the sweetest?)


So I will never be disappointed if someone decides to rip apart her old dress, just leave the suit please. But it makes me laugh at how much your fashion tastes can change over the years. My mother's two wedding wardrobes can speak to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment