Commercials Can Help

So I've been doing a lot of thinking and evaluating of my life lately. At least 2 or 3 times a week I have this mini panic attack about what I'm doing with my life. Am I working at the right job? Am I doing what I really want to be doing? Shouldn't I be doing more with my life at (almost) 30? I'm not sure if I'm questioning the big parts of my life because society makes me feel like I should have it figured out by now, or I'm an overachiever, or I'm just going crazy. I think it's probably a little bit of all three, but sometimes I wish I had a crystal ball to show me the way. 
Then I had a thought. About an ING commercial. Yes, a strange thing to be thinking of in the middle of a breakdown, but this is my life. I can't even begin to think about retirement or investing, but the overall message of this commercial struck a chord with me. You've got to have a plan. Throwing energy or effort blindly at something won't get you anywhere. How can you get where you're going if you don't know where you're going to? 
I can't answer any of my panic attack questions if I don't know what I really want. So I've been spending some time trying to figure that out. I still don't have an exact plan, but keeping this 30 second clip in my head helps me stay focused. Sure, I could complain and whine about how I don't know if what I'm doing is exactly the right thing right now, but thinking on the solution seems to be a much better way to solve the problem. 
Wish me luck as I try to put together a "game plan" for my life. Perhaps by 2013, only 3 weeks away, I will have a clear start to my year. 
And you thought commercials were just to fast forward through.

No comments:

Post a Comment